Do we only believe half of the Gospel?
Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
Half of the Gospel?
I’ve been reading the book, “Classic Christianity” (Bob George).
It’s been sort of a devotional for me in the mornings. There is this one chapter, “The Neglected Half of the Gospel”. I’ve been pondering on this really powerful thought for the past few days:
If you decided to follow Jesus, are you just following the one who died on the cross 2000 years ago to forgive you of your sins, or are you also following the one who defeated death and rose from the grave?
Of course, it’s absolutely true and essential for us to understand what Jesus did for us. But many times, we are satisfied with Jesus who died to wipe out our sins. But do I believe and trust in the one who rose from the grave and gives me daily power for victory?
I’m asking myself these questions. Also, as I invest into other people’s lives- I don’t want to just be telling them about the Jesus that can save them, which, of course, is absolutely true.
More than just that- He can and will help me overcome!
So many times, we’re just glad that we got saved, but really it only leads us to a feeling of surviving Day-to-day.
God didn’t save you so that you could then trudge along on life support. He saved you so that you and I have the chance to live to the fullest! He designed us so that when we depend on Him, we get full victory over our hang-ups or failures.
How can I thrive?
- Be grateful. Live with gratitude for all the blessings and challenges of daily life.
- Trust God’s words to me. I am the righteousness of God. I am more than a conquerer. I am safe in Him.
- Be joyful. It’s not another word for happy- it’s an inward overflow of contentment and peace that Jesus will help me through this.
- Love others. I rarely meet people who are both loving others and are withering at the same time.
- Refresh. It’s a crazy world. Let Jesus refresh you through a great hobby or a fun pastime so that your spirit and body are energized.
- Clean Living. It’s not just a dietary trend. Lord, search me for unconfessed sin or resentment and unforgiveness. This way, I can run and not limp along.
The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.
Prayer: Lord, help me to live out the fullness of your Gospel. You not only died for my sins, you rose from death, in order to show me that I too can have victory every day!